dragonflag.gif (12533 bytes)




Bryn Estyn Road, Wrexham, North Wales. LL13 9TY




wrexham rfc logo (gr).JPG (28590 bytes)




Click there for Match Reports >>> Match Reports

Latest News

Week Ending 30th April 2010


NEWTOWN   41        WREXHAM 1STS     8

Wrexham Firsts suffered their 12th defeat of the season when their tackling let them down and they were beaten by 41-8 at Newtown in their last Division Three game of the season. .... more            

WREXHAM 2NDS   40        DENBIGH 2NDS      10

Wrexham Seconds ensured that they won’t finish in bottom place in Division Four by hammering the luckless Denbigh Seconds 40-10 at Bryn Estyn Road. Although it was a scrappy game, a good team performance clinched this must-win result for the home side and augers well for next season.

Flanker Keir Harding and centre Scott Davies claimed a brace of tries apiece, lock Ian Sanger and prop Danny Seabrook powered over for a try each and outside-half Dave Thomas kicked 5 conversions. There was also a fine performance from lock Jason Parry while credit went to the versatile Dave Thomas for the way that he has adapted to playing at half-back in recent games.    

This game was a league and Second Team Cup semi-final double header against Denbigh and the result means that Wrexham will now face Ruthin Seconds in the cup final at a time and place to be decided.   

Week Ending 23rd April 2010



Wrexham Firsts make several changes for their final Division Three league game of the season at Newtown (k.o.2.30pm).

Skipper Guy Bingham, lock Jason Reano and wing John Roberts are all away on the Wrexham Veterans tour to Cheltenham, so this will give coach Stuart Milne the opportunity to include some of the club’s younger players in the side. There will be a debut appearance in the back-row for Christian Chalk who delivered a Man of the Match performance for the Seconds last week.   

Josh Francis, an outstanding Youth Team player who made his senior debut against Welshpool last week, is retained in the centre alongside Richard Hughes who claimed a personal tally of 18 points last Saturday. There may also be a place on wing for another Youth Team player Pete Atkin who has been performing well for the Under 19’s and the Seconds in recent weeks.   

Prop David Gard is expected to recover from injury to maintain the power in Wrexham’s strong front-row, Mike Jones will lock out the second-row and provide his usual stream of possession from the line-outs, while the hard tackling Mark Gasson will be a key player on the wing.

Newtown have beaten Wrexham three times this season in cup and league competition, the last success for them being a 23-12 victory at Bryn Estyn Road only three weeks ago. Unusually, they then lost by 6-10 at lowly Bangor who were reinforced by University students who tackled throughout and also won the forward battle.

Winning at Newtown is always a difficult task and the visitors will need to be quick and sure in the tackle to prevent the talented home backs from breaking through the gain line. If they can secure enough possession for their own backs, however, there is no doubt that the presence of Josh Francis and the in-form Richard Hughes in the centre can inspire a Wrexham win to complete their league campaign.      


Wrexham Seconds, deprived of a number of their regular players who will be in Cheltenham on the Vets Tour, face Denbigh Seconds at Bryn Estyn Road in a bottom of the table Division Four contest that they are desperately keen to win (k.o.2.30pm).


Wrexham Veterans will round off their season with a 3-day tour to Cheltenham where they will play Stroud Vets on Saturday (k.o.2.30pm).  


WREXHAM ISTS     28        WELSHPOOL           15

Wrexham completed a Division Three double over visitors Welshpool when they outpointed them by 28-15 in their final home game of the season. ... more              

LLANGOLLEN         42        WREXHAM 2NDS   30

Wrexham Seconds and Llangollen produced a free flowing and high scoring game at Dinas Bran with the home side edging home by 42-30 to complete a Division Four double over their close rivals. Despite their defeat, Wrexham went home with a bonus point for scoring 4 tries.

The visitors were marginally the best side in the first-half but were caught out by a couple of quick tries from their opponents after the break. Wing Scott Davies led the way for Wrexham with an excellent brace of tries, flanker Jason Parry and outside-half Dave Thomas notched one apiece and there were 2 penalties and 2 conversions from Thomas to complete their scoring.

Youth Team captain Christian Chalk gave a Man of the Match performance in the back-row, prop Danny Wolfenden was always prominent in the forward exchanges and wing Peter Atkin was applauded for a particularly good try saving tackle.

Week Ending 16th April 2010



Wrexham Firsts take on Welshpool in a Division Three match at Bryn Estyn Road that will give supporters their last chance to see their team in action at home before the rugby season ends (kick-off at 2.30pm).

Flanker Phil Williams, who rose from the junior and youth ranks to become a prominent back-row player in the senior side, will make his 80th appearance for the club. He will be assisted on the other flank by the industrious Gareth Owen, but their number eight partner Kenny Simms will have to pass a late fitness after taking a knock in last week’s game against Llanidloes.

Skipper Guy Bingham, who scored a rare try and was delighted with another improved performance by his side last Saturday, will lead the side from his place in the front-row. Centre Richard Hughes, outside-half Ben Cheesbrough, prop David Gard and wing Mark Gasson have all been receiving treatment for injuries this week but should be fit to face Welshpool.

Wrexham defeated Welshpool at their ground by 21-0 only three weeks ago, John Roberts claiming two tries on the wing. They didn’t have it all their own way, however, and had to dig deep in both halves to prevent the mid Walians from scoring. This time the confidence created in the side by two good team performances should carry Wrexham through to a decisive victory with just two more (away) games to go.                   


Wrexham Seconds visit their close neighbours Llangollen for a Division Four encounter hoping to get back to winning ways. They lost at home to Llangollen by 15-32 in February but then won three games in succession before meeting a brick wall in the shape of league leaders Abergele who thrashed them last week. That setback will be overcome quickly but they still face a difficult task at Dinas Bran where Llangollen have a sound record (k.o.2.30pm).   


WREXHAM 1STS     20        LLANIDLOES          26

Wrexham Firsts delivered another good performance and pushed Division Three leaders Llanidloes all the way at Bryn Estyn Road, but they eventually had to settle for second best as they finished 20-26 losers. 


The visitors struck first with a 6th minute converted try but Wrexham soon closed the gap with a well-struck penalty by centre Richard Hughes. Then, as the home pack took full charge of the set scrums with David Gard outstanding, number eight Kenny Simms drove over for a try and Hughes kicked a spectacular conversion to put Wrexham 10-7 in front.  ....  more


WREXHAM YOUTH           57        LLANGOLLEN YOUTH     7

Wrexham Youth defeated plucky visitors Llangollen by 57-7 in the last of their scheduled North East Wales regional games before they face the cross region play-offs in a fortnight’s time. Tries came from lock Dafydd Kember (3), winger for the day Aaron Hughes (2), wing Tom Lea, flanker Owain Jarvis, lock and captain Christian Chalk and scrum-half Owain Turner who also kicked 6 conversions. Wrexham finished in third place, behind Ruthin and Rhyl, in their provincial championship.  

 WREXHAM 2NDS   14        ABERGELE   69

Wrexham Seconds were crushed 14-69 at home by Division Four leaders Abergele, despite playing well in parts. Their try came from winger Scott Davies who was making his comeback, and outside-half Carl Pugh did well to kick three penalties. Number eight Keir Harding and former Youth Team prop Danny Wolfenden never stopped trying and worked well together. 

Week Ending 9th April 2010


WREXHAM 1STS     12        NEWTOWN   23

Wrexham Firsts, well beaten by Newtown in both legs of a cup competition last November, gave a much better account of themselves against the same outfit at Bryn Estyn Road on Saturday, but still ended up as 12-23 losers of a well contested Division Three encounter. ... more

They could have won if they had been able to capitalise on several good scoring opportunities, but they lacked the pace and awareness needed to make the final few metres across Newtown’s try line. In contrast, a bulky visiting side started slowly but grew in strength in the second-half of the game and then had the skill and confidence to convert their chances with three tries.

Having failed to win a league match for most of this season, Wrexham Seconds made it an amazing three wins on the trot when they defeated Flint by 27-12 at Castle Grounds in a Division Four contest.
A fine all round team performance led to this latest bonus point success, top try scorer lock Iwan Roberts putting the visitors in front with a well worked try. They were never headed as number eight Keir Harding, centre Gareth Bostock and wing newcomer Leighton Cox added further touchdowns with scrum-half Owain Turner kicking two conversions and a penalty.    

Week Ending 2nd April 2010



Wrexham commence a sequence of three home fixtures when they take on Newtown at Bryn Estyn Road in a Division Three match (kick-off at 2.30pm).

Richard Hughes, who collected 11 points with his trusty boot in his first full game for the club last week, retains his place in the centre. Ben Cheesbrough is expected to be at outside-half with Kieran Morris keeping his scrum-half berth and John Roberts, a two try scorer against Welshpool last Saturday, chosen on the wing.

Danny Sissons, the only Wrexham player to have started in every match this season, will retain the key hooker berth in the front-row, while flanker Phil Williams is expected to recover from a back strain to rejoin the squad.

Newtown were in dominant form against Wrexham in the North Wales Intermediate Cup last November. They beat them by 29-3 at home in the first leg and then went up a gear to record a 30-0 success at Bryn Estyn Road in the second-leg. Surprisingly, they didn’t do so well in their regional league, being whitewashed twice by a good Llanidloes outfit.

Wrexham’s 21-0 victory at Welshpool last week will have boosted their confidence enormously and should provide them with the incentive to turn the tables on Newtown.  Due to the disruption in matches caused by the severe winter and the Six Nations Championship, this is the first game that Wrexham will play at home since January, and this should spur them on in front of their home supporters.


Wrexham Seconds hope to continue their winning streak when they visit Flint for a Division Four contest (k.o.2.30pm).

 Following two successive victories, their confidence will be further boosted by the presence of number eight Iwan Roberts who is their top scorer this season. Flint won at Wrexham by 24-5 just before Christmas, but the Seconds came away with a 23-15 victory on their last visit to Castle Grounds and can repeat that success if they maintain their current good form.  


WELSHPOOL 1STS              0          WREXHAM 1STS     21

Two tries from John Roberts, a star in the North Wales flagship side Northern Counties at the turn of the Millennium, broke Wrexham’s four month long scoring duck after he switched from scrum-half to his old place on the wing and helped them to a well-earned 21-0 success at Welshpool. ....  more      


Wrexham Seconds, whose jubilation knew no bounds when they won their first league match of the season a fortnight ago, celebrated again when they claimed the full points in beating visitors Llangefni Seconds by 31-0 in a Division Four contest.

Their tries came from flanker Gareth Noon, lock Jason Parry, replacement flanker Wayne Roberts, number eight Iwan Roberts and wing Christian Chalk, while centre Dave Thomas kicked 3 conversions. Prop Danny Seabrook, who was skipper for the day, led from the front and, while a great team performance won the day for Wrexham, Youth Team winger Pete Atkin made a major contribution to their success.  

Danny Hughes and Chris Phillips played half a game each for the depleted visitors and made sure that the game went ahead.       

Week Ending 26th March 2010



Wrexham Firsts visit Welshpool with high hopes of securing their first victory in the recently introduced North Wales Division Three league competition (kick-off at 2.30pm).

Skipper Guy Bingham has recovered from a back strain and will take his regular in the front-row of the scrum, while Rhodri Ifans is set to make his 90th senior appearance for the club packing down behind Bingham in the second-row. The industrious Gareth Owen, who impressed in the team’s last outing at Llanidloes a fortnight ago, is a popular inclusion in the back-row.

Richard Hughes, who tore a shoulder muscle soon after he made his debut for the club against Llanidloes, is fit again and will command an important place at outside-half. Flankers Kenny Simms and Phil Williams are still injured, but the presence of number eight Mike Jones in the side should ensure a steady stream of possessions for the visitors.

Wrexham completed the double over Welshpool last season when they won at home by 43-17 and then produced a hard-earned 12-0 victory in mid Wales. Surprisingly, however, no individual in the Wrexham side has scored a try since last October and this is a concern that needs to be remedied at Welshpool on Saturday.


Wrexham Youth take on Llangollen Youth at Bryn Estyn Road needing a resounding success to finish in no lower then third place in their regional division before they enter the North Wales Youth League play-offs. Centre Josh Francis and winger Pete Atkin must face late fitness tests but no other injuries have been reported after last week’s testing cup game against Mold (k.o.2.30pm).


Wrexham Seconds, buoyant after claiming their first league win of the season against Mold Seconds a fortnight ago, entertain Llangefni Seconds in a Division Four contest. Wrexham were beaten by 36-8 at Llangefni last November, but their form has been gradually improving since then and their recent win will have added the confidence that has been absent for much of the season (k.o.2.30pm).   


WREXHAM YOUTH          8         MOLD YOUTH         12

An uncharacteristic blunder, only seven minutes from the end of their keenly contested North Wales Youth Cup quarter-final game against visitors Mold, resulted in Wrexham Youth losing to their close rivals by 8-12.

Mold had opened the scoring in the 10th minute of the game with a well worked unconverted try, but Wrexham gradually built up some momentum and levelled the scores with a captain’s try by lock Christian Chalk.

The score remained at 5-5 until half-time and then Wrexham rapidly turned the screw on the visitors until they conceded a penalty that full-back Owain Turner converted. The Wrexham forwards, inspired by a fine performance from Chalk, then controlled the game until the final quarter when Mold came back strongly.

 The home side seemed to have withstood a constant barrage on their line when the referee awarded them a penalty for a Mold infringement. However, in a rush of blood to the head, a Wrexham player decided to run from his line rather than kick for safety, and a pass to an unsuspecting teammate went to ground.

 Mold grabbed the opportunity and picked-up the loose ball to score a try that they converted for a four point lead. Although Wrexham came roaring back in a frantic final few minutes of play, they needed a try to reclaim the lead and just couldn’t fashion another score. 

WREXHAM VETS          12         RUTHIN VETS        22

Wrexham started superbly & put Ruthin under great pressure from the onset & were denied two or three scoring opportunities by Ruthin killing the ball & the referee's questionable decision making at the ruck. However the continued pressure told as Mike Mcloed crashed over near to the posts only for fullback Darrell's Hughes's dropped kick conversion to miss !! Wrexham continued to dominate the forward exchanges through the powerful surges of the forwards, scrum half john Roberts & centre Dave Morris. However Ruthin's defence held firm & they were able to counteract through their lively back row & scrum half Rhys Hughes which led to a good score by their winger. Wrexham again came back & threatened only to be thwarted by a whistle happy referee. Discipline was now becoming a issue for both sides. Ruthin held out until the half time break. 
The second half began with sides making numerous changes to their teams Ruthin started brightly & scored anothe try to extend their lead,  both sides continued to fall foul of the referee's whistle & a total of four players were dispatched to the sin bin due over officiating a friendly veterans match. Ruthin scored two further tries with one being a classic blindside break & dummy by scrum half Rhys Hughes to free the fullback/winger to score under the posts. 
Wrexham rallied well & scored a good try from a back row move instigated by No 8 Gareth Noon & scored by scrum half John Roberts, converted by Carl Pugh. 
Both teams retired to the bar & enjoyed an evening of nostalgic memories.

Week Ending 19th March 2010


 WREXHAM 2NDS   10        MOLD 2NDS 7

 Wrexham Seconds, without a win or a draw in Division Four this season, finally brought their losing sequence to an end when they outpointed their close rivals Mold Seconds by 10-7 at Bryn Estyn Road. 

 In a compelling game between two well-matched teams that reached half-time scoreless, Mold went ahead with a converted try shortly after the break. The home side, led by Man of the Match prop Danny Seabrook, fought their way back with a try near the corner by flanker Keir Harding, but the angle was too acute for centre Dave Thomas to land a conversion.  

 Youth Team scrum-half Owain Turner, wing Pete Atkins and centre Josh Francis all made a significant contribution on their senior debuts and helped to keep the pressure on the visitors. The winning try came from Wrexham flanker Mike Ward when he squeezed through a gap with 9 minutes to go, Turner missing the difficult conversion before the home side were able to celebrate that long awaited first victory of the season.   

 Week Ending 12th March 2010


 LLANIDLOES          34        WREXHAM   0

Wrexham crashed to a 34-0 defeat at Llanidloes, their fourth whitewash in five matches, in the opening game of the newly created Division Three North Championship.

 Traffic problems en route to mid Wales club didn’t help, but Wrexham had only themselves to blame for starting slowly and handing the initiative to the eager home side. Llanidloes kicked an early penalty to claim the lead and then survived a penalty attempt by Wrexham outside-half Richard Hughes who was making his senior debut for the club.

The home side then kicked deep into Wrexham’s half from their 22, won a ruck and scored an unconverted try to increase their lead. A torn biceps muscle forced Hughes to leave the field after 20 minutes and the visitors had to reorganise their team again when number eight Kenny Simms suffered a dislocated thumb injury and had to be replaced.

 Llanidloes took full advantage of Wrexham’s woes and grabbed two converted tries to stretch their lead to 22-0 at half-time. Although skipper Guy Bingham’s injured knee forced Wrexham coach Stuart Milne to make another replacement at the break, the visitors came out fully determined to compete in the second-half.

 With the pack matching the much-vaunted Llanidloes eight, and flanker Gareth Owen delivering a classy performance in the loose exchanges, Wrexham took the game to the home side. Ben Cheesbrough, who had moved from centre to outside-half when Richard Hughes was injured and was later named as the Man of the Match by his opponents, used all his experience to try to fashion a score for his side.

 Unfortunately, Llanidloes found two more holes in the home defence to create a brace of converted tries by the end of the third quarter, but the final 20 minutes of the game belonged to Wrexham as they prodded away in search of a consolation score. Lock Mike Jones competed well in the line-out to give his side the possession that they needed, but the points wouldn’t come and Llanidloes were able to take an early grip on the Championship.

 DENBIGH YOUTH  20        WREXHAM YOUTH           17

 Denbigh Youth surprised their Wrexham counterparts by claiming an unexpected 20-17 home victory that could hinder Wrexham’s aim to reach the top clubs’ play-offs next month.

 The home side dominated the match in the early stages with a converted try and a penalty, but the lead changed hands three times as Wrexham bounced back with a brace of tries by centre Josh Francis, another score from wing Pete Atkins and a conversion from outside-half Nathan Jones. In between this Denbigh had notched an unconverted try to limit Wrexham’s lead to 17-15 with only twenty minutes to go.

 Although the loss of number eight Geraint Jones with a dislocated wrist injury was matched by a strong display from his replacement Declan Simms, the visitors found themselves being constantly penalised under pressure in the final stages. Denbigh claimed the winning try in the dying minutes, leaving Wrexham a bit miffed when the game ended five minutes early.  

WREXHAM 2NDS  13        CAERNARFON 2NDS         15

Wrexham Seconds nearly broke their Division Four duck when they dominated visitors Caernarfon Seconds, but they couldn’t score enough points and eventually fell to a 13-15 home defeat.

They had to contend with an unfortunate early injury to their inspirational lock Jason Griffiths who suffered a broken leg in a tackle and had to be hospitalised. Regrouping, however, they scored a try through scrum-half Dan Bowen and a penalty from full-back Sion Lloyd-Jones before Caernarfon overtook them at half-time with a converted try and a penalty.

With props Danny Wolfenden and Danny Hughes in charge in the scrums, Wrexham started well after the break but were stunned by a controversial try from the visitors after everyone but the match official had witnessed a blatant knock-on offence by the scorer. The home side came storming back with a try from lock Brendan O’Malley only to see outside-half Carl Pugh’s conversion attempt thwarted by a crossbar.

Wrexham had to settle for second-best again but could take come comfort from the fact that the losers bonus point that they earned for their close finish had lifted them off the bottom of the table. All of the team wish Jason Griffiths a comfortable and speedy recovery from his broken leg.     

Week Ending 5th March 2010



Wrexham travel to Llanidloes for the opening game of the newly created Division Three North Championship which also includes Newtown, Welshpool, Rhos and Bangor (kick-off at 2.30pm).

There are doubts over the fitness of skipper Guy Bingham who was due to make his 90th senior appearance for his club but suffered a knee injury in last week’s defeat at Bala and will have to undergo a late fitness test. Hooker Danny Sissons, however, has recovered from injury and will strengthen the pack while John Gormley will provide the last line of defence at full-back.  

Wrexham last played Llanidloes five years ago when they travelled to mid Wales and were beaten by 3-0, a single penalty settling the issue. In the previous season they hammered Llanidloes at home by 55-19 but then slipped to a narrow 17-19 reverse in the return game.  

Although the north Walians have improved their standard of play under coach Stuart Milne in their last two matches, they still have a problem in converting possession into points. They have failed to score any points in three of their last four games and it is therefore vital that they capitalise on any opportunities that may arise at Llanidloes to reverse that trend.  


Wrexham Youth visit Denbigh Youth in the penultimate game of their North East Wales regional campaign before they contest the full North Wales Youth Championship play-offs (k.o.2.30pm).

They expect to be served at scrum-half by Tom Lea with Aaron Hughes a strong performer in the front-row and Peter Atkins in top form on the wing. Wrexham are in second place, behind leaders Ruthin, in the table while Denbigh are down in 5th place. Matches between the two sides have always been close, however, and another close contest is forecast   


Wrexham Seconds entertain Caernarfon Seconds in a Division Four contest with high hopes of at last achieving their first league victory of the season. The Cofis have won four of the 12 matches that they have played this season but have a poor defensive record compared to others in the league. With a big team effort, an improving Wrexham side can overcome the visitors and move off the bottom of the league table (k.o.2.30pm).    


BALA 19        WREXHAM   0 

Wrexham succumbed to a 19-0 defeat at Bala, but were left feeling with a sense of frustration that this was a game that they could have won if they had turned their possession superiority into points.  more

LLANIDLOES YOUTH       0          WREXHAM YOUTH           24

Wrexham Youth secured an emphatic 24-0 victory over highflying Llanidloes in a North Wales Youth Cup first round game in Mid Wales. They will meet their local rivals Mold at Wrexham in the quarter-finals of the competition, the date to be agreed by the clubs.

The visitors were in almost complete control in the opening quarter and raced into a 14-0 lead with tries by prop Aaron Hughes and wing Pete Atkin, plus two conversions from full-back Owain Turner. Indiscipline then let the home side back into the game until half-time, but Wrexham picked it up again with tries from prop John Morton and wing Jordan Davies as they dominated the final quarter of the game.

Scrum-half Tom Lea stood out for providing an excellent service to his threequarters, while Luke Hammond came on as a back-row replacement and made a telling contribution by winning a stream of possession in the line-outs.   

 WREXHAM 2NDS   15        LLANGOLLEN         32

 Wrexham Seconds fought tooth and nail to match a good Llangollen side in a Division Four game at Bryn Estyn Road, but they fell away in the second-half and slid to a 15-32 defeat.

Outside-half Dave Thomas kicked Wrexham into an early lead with a well-struck penalty but the visitors countered with a converted try. Thomas then put the home side back in the lead with a try that he converted, only for Llan to reply with another converted try that gave them a 14-10 advantage at the break.

With Mark Gasson performing well at hooker, and Jason Parry foraging on the flank, Wrexham worked hard to get back on terms after the break. Unfortunately, Llangollen took full advantage by scoring a couple of tries when Thomas was sent to the sin-bin for a technical infringement and, although centre Mike McLeod nicked a second try for the home side, the visitors had the last word with a breakaway score.  

Week Ending 26th February 2010



Wrexham are hoping that the adverse weather conditions that have forced the postponement of their North Wales Division Two league fixture at Bala no less than three times, have finally relented. They travel to Bala for this final divisional game before they enter the late season play-offs (kick-off 2.30pm).

New recruit Richard Hughes, who gave a very promising display for the Second XV when coming on as an outside-half replacement last week, has been included in the squad. Wrexham have lacked a regular fly-half since their top scorer Roger Chadwick became unavailable due to work commitments last October and are keen to appoint a replacement. 

Utility forward Ian Sanger is still sidelined through injury, and his strength in the pack will be missed, but flanker Danny Sissons has made a good recovery from an accidental collision with an opponent in Wrexham’s last game and will add pace to the back-row. Hooker Nick Perrin, a regular front-row campaigner against Bala over recent years, is looking forward to making his 80th senior appearance for his club.

Bala has for long been a difficult place for Wrexham to come away with a victory as the town possesses a proud side with a competitive pack and enough skill in their threequarter line to capitalise on opponents’ mistakes. A couple of errors consigned Wrexham to a 10-14 defeat in the corresponding fixture at Bryn Estyn Road last September and cannot be afforded if the visitors are to have any chance of pulling off a long awaited success this time.  


Wrexham Youth travel to mid Wales for a much-postponed North Wales Youth Cup first round contest against Llanidloes. Both clubs are performing well in their respective league campaigns, Llanidloes topping their table and Wrexham running a close second to leaders Ruthin in the North East Wales table.

The visitors have enjoyed a good record in the cup competition in recent years, although they were narrowly beaten by Mold at the quarter-final stage last term, having reached the final against winners Nant Conwy in the previous season. A very close game is anticipated at Llanidloes and Wrexham will have to be at their best to progress to the next round (k.o.2.30pm).


Wrexham Seconds entertain their local rivals Llangollen in a Division Four match that was originally postponed due to frozen ground conditions at Christmas (k.o.2.30pm).

Llangollen completed a notable double over the Seconds last season, but Wrexham showed better form despite losing to Harlech by 19-26 at the same venue last week and should maintain that improvement. The return to the side of lock Jason Griffiths will add power and experience to the pack.


WREXHAM 2NDS   19        HARLECH     26

Wrexham Seconds and Harlech overcame wintry conditions to produce a thrilling Division Four contest at Bryn Estyn Road, the verdict eventually going to the visitors who won by 26-19.

Harlech hit back strongly with a brace of tries and a penalty after the break to lead by 26-12, but Wrexham had the last word when centre Ben Cheesbrough went over for a late try and Ross Roberts slotted a conversion. That close finish earned the hosts a loser’s bonus point that lifted them from the bottom of the table and boosted their confidence for their remaining games.

Number eight Iwan Roberts was another top performer in this match and there was a very promising display from newcomer Richard Hughes who was a second-half replacement at outside-half.     

Week Ending 19th February 2010



Wrexham visit Bala for a North Wales Division Two league fixture that has twice been postponed due to icy conditions in mid Wales but now looks firmly set to go ahead as planned (kick-off 2.30pm).

Hooker Nick Perrin, a regular front-row campaigner against Bala over recent years, is looking forward to making his 80th senior appearance for his club. Centre Simon Williams is unavailable and it is expected that his place will go to Ashley Wrathall who made a good impression in the threequarters against Bethesda a fortnight ago. Danny Sissons has recovered from injury and returns to strengthen the back row.  

Despite having endured a string of poor results against the better sides in the league this season, Wrexham performed well against a belligerent Bethesda outfit in their last game and may have started to find some good form at last. Kieran Morris slotted in well at outside-half, centre Ben Cheesbrough was at his best and the pack gave a very dominant display in all phases of the game.   

Bala has for long been a difficult place for Wrexham to come away with a victory as the town possesses a proud side with a competitive pack and enough skill in their threequarter line to capitalise on opponents’ mistakes. A couple of errors consigned Wrexham to a 10-14 defeat in the corresponding fixture at Bryn Estyn Road last September and cannot be afforded if the visitors are to have any chance of pulling off a long awaited success this time.


Wrexham Youth, boosted by their last gasp victory in the league over local rivals Mold a fortnight ago, travel to mid Wales for a North Wales Youth Cup first round contest against Llanidloes. Both clubs are performing well in their respective league campaigns, Llanidloes topping their table and Wrexham running a close second to leaders Ruthin in the North East Wales table.

The visitors have enjoyed a good record in the cup competition in recent years, although they were narrowly beaten by Mold at the quarter-final stage last term, having reached the final against winners Nant Conwy in the previous season. A very close game is anticipated at Llanidloes and Wrexham will have to be at their best to progress to the next round (k.o.2.30pm).


Wrexham Seconds, who haven’t played at their Bryn Estyn Road ground since early December, will enjoy home advantage at last on Saturday when they entertain Harlech in a Division Four match.

Although Wrexham lost the corresponding encounter at Harlech by 8-38 last October, they will take heart from the fact that they triumphed by 24-15 over the Gwynedd side at home last season. Centre Dave Thomas returns to strengthen the side following a short break (k.o.2.30pm).  

Week Ending 12th February 2010

MOLD YOUTH         15        WREXHAM YOUTH           17

A neat drop goal by outside-half Nathan Jones, deep in the final quarter, delivered Wrexham Youth a 17-15 victory over their Mold counterparts and broke their Chester Road hoodoo that had existed for four long decades.

In an absorbing game in which the lead changed hands no less than four times, Wrexham claimed an early lead when scrum-half Tom Lea crossed for a try that was converted by full-back Owain Turner. Mold responded with a penalty and then went into the lead in the 30th minute when they created a try that they converted to give them a 10-7 half-time lead.

The visitors were fastest out of their blocks after the break and dominated the next 20 minutes with some incisive running. When centre Josh Francis picked up the ball from broken play near the half-way line in the 52nd minute, he accelerated through the home defence and evaded all cover to score a brilliant try under the posts. Turner again added the extra points with his conversion.

Then Wrexham flanker Gruffudd Jones suffered a dislocated kneecap in a challenge and there was a long delay while an ambulance was summoned to take him to hospital. When play did resume, Mold took the initiative and soon reclaimed the lead at 15-14 with an unconverted try wide out.

Although Wrexham tried hard to regain the lead in the closing minutes, it looked as though it was all over for them until Nathan Jones decided to have a rare drop-kick at goal. To the great delight of his teammates, the kick succeeded and they then managed to hold on for the last few minutes to claim a very rare victory at this venue.

For the winners, number eight Geraint Jones made a massive contribution to their success with his strong presence and Jordan Davies, who started on the wing before moving to centre in the second-half, deserved praise for his ball carrying skills and covering back when needed.       

Week Ending 5th February 2010


Wrexham Firsts will not be in action again until Saturday 20th February when they visit Bala to play the last of their Division Two (North) matches before they enter the league play-offs. When they do take the field at Bala, they will be under the guidance of former assistant coach Stuart Milne who has replaced Club Coach Marc Roberts in a major change at the club.

Milne, who hails from Dundee in the Scotland, is employed by Glyndwr University in Wrexham as a Skills Coach. In a unique partnership, he also acts as a Development Officer for Flintshire County Council and has responsibilities for skills coaching with the Welsh Rugby Union.

He has coached since August at Wrexham Rugby Club in his spare time. He agreed to step up to the top coaching post at Bryn Estyn Road when Marc Roberts, the North Wales Performance and Development Manager for the WRU, was relocated from Wrexham to Colwyn Bay to manage the new North Wales Rugby Academy. 

Roberts made a major contribution in his short period as Head Coach at the club, involving more younger players in the development of the top two teams playing in Division Two and Division Four in North Wales. His relocation to Eirias Park, however, made it impossible for him to continue his coaching activities and Wrexham were fortunate to have a ready replacement in Stuart Milne.

In his playing days, Milne operated as a back-row player for the famed Kelso club in the Scottish Borders until injuries curtailed his career and he turned to coaching instead. He is a qualified top-level coach and specialises in skills training and conditioning, qualities that are already showing through as Wrexham Firsts aim to finish a difficult season on a high note. 


Wrexham Youth visit Mold Youth for a North East Wales Youth league game that will kick-off at the early time of 1.30pm to enable the players of both clubs to watch the eagerly awaited England v Wales Six Nations contest live on television. (k.o.5.00pm).

Wrexham just managed to gain the upper hand in the league match between the two sides at Bryn Estyn Road in October, edging home by 29-24, and Saturday’s game should finish just as close.


A mixture of players from Wrexham’s First, Second and Veterans Teams will play an Over 30’s versus Under 30’s match at Bryn Estyn Road (k.o.1.30pm). This inter club game is becoming an annual feature at the club and will act as a warm-up for a Six Nations get together at the club that will feature the televised matches between Ireland and Italy (2.30) and England v Wales (5.00).

Week Ending 5th February 2010


WREXHAM   10        BETHESDA   20  (REPORT)

COLWYN BAY YOUTH     0          WREXHAM YOUTH           26

Wrexham Youth bounced back to winning ways and completed their first double of the season when they defeated Colwyn Bay Youth at their Brookfield Drive stronghold.

Although mistakes littered their play, the visitors still managed to score four tries through wing Peter Atkin, centre Jordan Davies, number eight Geraint Jones and replacement number eight Matthew Evans. Full-back Owain Turner kicked three conversions and there was a very competitive performance from prop Aaron Hughes to add to the exciting running skills of try scorer Atkin. 

NANT CONWY 2NDS         56        WREXHAM 2NDS   0

Wrexham Seconds played well in parts against Nant Conwy Seconds in a Division Four game at Llanrwst but, with only 15 players in their party, they were hammered by 56-0 after their hosts fielded their full complement of replacements.

Flanker Mark Gasson tackled well on his welcome return to the side, lock Tom Williams stood out in the pack and veteran outside-half Ross Roberts and number eight Mark Lloyd added experience to a hard working Wrexham side. 

Week Ending 29th January 2010



Wrexham take on Division Two (North) leaders Bethesda at Bryn Estyn Road tomorrow afternoon. They face their visitors with a full strength squad but have not played since early December and could therefore be a bit rusty in tomorrow’s contest (k.o.2.30pm).

Last week, Bethesda played their first game since the recent big freeze and defeated visitors Machynlleth by 34-13 in a Swalec Plate match. They will start as clear favourites tomorrow, but may recall that, although they beat Wrexham by 29-6 at home last October, the visitors played well in holding the Gwynedd side for over 60 minutes and lost only through their own mistakes.


Wrexham Youth Team visit Colwyn Bay looking to complete their first league double of the season. They defeated the Seasiders by 14-5 at Bryn Estyn Road last October in what turned out to be a highly charged match with both teams trying to make a good start to the season.

Since then, Colwyn Bay have won only one of the six games that they have played and are now second from bottom in the table. Despite last week’s lack lustre performance when they were defeated at home by unbeaten league leaders Ruthin, Wrexham are still in second place in the table but cannot afford to slip up at the Bay if they are to force their way into the top club play-offs in April (k.o.2.30pm).


Wrexham Seconds, disappointed last week when their scheduled Division Four game was postponed at Denbigh’s request, are looking forward to resuming their league programme in tomorrow’s scheduled game at Nant Conwy Seconds (k.o.2.30pm).

Week Ending 22nd January 2010



Wrexham Firsts, still waiting for the chance to play their first game of 2010, have a blank fixture date, but are hoping that the regional fixture pool can provide them with a suitable match.    


Wrexham Youth and unbeaten Ruthin Youth meet at Bryn Estyn Road in a top of the table contest (k.o.2.30pm). Ruthin came out on top by 22-7 when the two sides met at Cae Ddol last October, but Wrexham have lost haven’t lost a league game since then and will be keen to make amends on home ground.  


Wrexham Seconds entertain Denbigh Seconds and will be hoping to gain revenge for the 7-20 defeat that they suffered at Denbigh last September. They were able to train this week on their Bryn Estyn Road ground for the first time this year and will be aiming for an improved performance on last week (k.o.2.30pm).


MENAI BRIDGE      45        WREXHAM 2NDS    

Fielding a makeshift side in their first game since early December, Wrexham Seconds failed to stem a wave of early attacks from a good Menai Bridge outfit and suffered a 45-0 whitewash in this Division Four contest.

The ground conditions at Menai Bridge were surprisingly good and the home side quickly stormed in front with a brace of tries. Wrexham’s lack of training during the recent severe weather left them a trifle rusty and they failed to create any momentum in the first-half, despite the good work in the pack of prop Guy Bingham.

The home side continued to add more points to their total and were in a comfortable lead of 33-0 by half-time. They started off in the same form after the break, but Wrexham soon started to assert themselves when Mark Lloyd came on as a replacement flanker and Peter Blakemore switched from hooker to the wing.

The visitors created some good phases of play that looked promising until they were ruined by some elementary mistakes. They just couldn’t find a way through to gain the consolation score that they were desperately looking for, and Menai Bridge then took advantage of some tired legs to wrap up their victory with two further tries.

Week Ending 1st January 2010



 Wrexham start the New Year with a visit to Bala for a North Wales Division Two league game that had to be postponed just before Christmas due to icy conditions in Mid Wales (kick-off 2.30pm).

 Mike Jones, back from suspension, will strengthen the scrum and line-out while Troy Roberts, who is home on leave from the Army, will add bags of power and pace to the back-row. Roberts has been missed since he joined the forces in mid October and is very capable of bringing a halt to Wrexham’s dismal record of not having scored a try in their last three matches.  

 Wrexham performed well against Bala when the clubs met at Bryn Estyn Road in September but committed two basic errors that were quickly punished as the visitors won by 14-10. Even so, the home team ended as the dominant force and Bala were glad to escape with their narrow win, Wrexham gaining some consolation by earning a loser’s bonus point.

 Since then, however, Bala have gone from strength and showed how highly competitive they are by hammering Tregaron 41-8 in a Swalec cup game in South Wales just before Christmas. Wrexham need to make sure that their scrum is solid against a powerful Bala eight and that their defence copes well with a lively home threequarter line.


Wrexham Youth visit Llanidloes for a North East Wales Cup round one game that should prove to be a very close contest. The visitors haven’t lost since late October and are in second place in the North East Wales table while Llanidloes Youth have lost only once in their Mid Wales table and also occupy a second place position.

Wrexham have enjoyed a good record in the cup competition in recent years, although they were narrowly beaten by Mold at the quarter-final stage last term and will want to progress further this season. It will be the first meeting between the clubs at this level and Llanidloes will enjoy the advantage of having plenty of vocal support from their followers (k.o.2.30pm).    


Wrexham Seconds take on their local rivals Mold Seconds in a Division Four encounter at Bryn Estyn Road on Saturday. Mold are flying high in third place in the table, having lost only once this season, while Wrexham are still without a win and looking for a New Year boost (k.o.2.30pm). 

Week Ending 18th December 2009



Wrexham visit North Wales Division Two joint leaders Bala for what promises to be their toughest game of the season (kick-off 2.15pm).

The return of utility forward Mike Jones from suspension will undoubtedly bolster their power in the scrum and will also give them an extra option in the line-outs. Danny Seabrook is set for a recall to the front-row, Richard Platt continues in the second-row and winger Will Gauntlett has rejoined the squad following impressive performances in training.

Wrexham performed well against Bala when the clubs met at Bryn Estyn Road in September but committed two basic errors that were quickly punished as the visitors won by 14-10. Even so, the home team ended as the dominant force and Bala were glad to escape with their narrow win, Wrexham gaining some consolation by earning a loser’s bonus point.

Since then, however, Bala have gone from strength and showed how highly competitive they are by hammering Tregaron 41-8 in a Swalec cup game in South Wales last week. Wrexham need to make sure that their scrum is solid against a powerful Bala eight and that their defence copes well with a lively home threequarter line.


Wrexham Seconds hope to celebrate Christmas by winning their first league game of the season when they meet local rivals Llangollen at Bryn Estyn Road (k.o.2.30pm). It will be a tough challenge, but top try scorer Iwan Roberts will lend his experience to what is a very young Wrexham side that is trying to establish itself in Division Four

Week Ending 11h December 2009



No game (Round 2 SWALEC Bowl)


Wrexham Youth face their Mold counterparts in a non-league contest at Bryn Estyn Road on Saturday (k.o.2.30pm).  

Both clubs will have the opportunity to give starting places to some of their fringe players but there will still be no lack of passion in this local derby encounter. Wrexham just managed to gain the upper hand in the league match between the two sides at the same venue in October, edging home by 29-24, and Saturday’s game should finish just as close.


Wrexham Seconds will have it all to do when they visit league leaders Abergele for a Division Four championship match. Wrexham lost by 0-46 when the clubs met in the corresponding match at Abergele last year, but they have been gradually improving this term and should push the Seasiders much closer this time (k.o.2.30pm).   

Week Ending 4th December 2009



Wrexham Firsts travel to Rhyl for a North Wales Division Two contest and have high hopes of achieving an improved team performance to dispel the woes of recent back-to-back cup defeats against Newtown  (k.o.2.30pm).

Skipper Guy Bingham, sorely missed in the front-row when he was unavailable for last week’s game, returns at prop while Jason Reano continues in the second-row. Utility forward Mike Jones is still suspended but Wayne Roberts played well last when on his return from injury and will add strength to Wrexham’s powerful pack.

Coach Marc Roberts was pleased with the enthusiasm of his players in training this week and their determination to establish a solid team spirit. They will be keen to avenge the 10-20 home defeat that they suffered at the hands of Rhyl last September after they had dominated the game through their forwards for lengthy periods but then let themselves down when under pressure.

The pitch at Rhyl was unplayable last Saturday and still had patches of water lying on it in midweek. If conditions allow this Saturday’s game to go ahead as planned, it will no doubt be very heavy underfoot and conditions could suit Wrexham’s strong pack and help them to claim an overdue win.


Wrexham Youth take on Rhyl Youth in a top of the table North Wales Youth League at Bryn Estyn Road (k.o.2.30pm). Wrexham lead the Championship by two points from unbeaten Rhyl who have played two games less and can take over at the top if they win at Wrexham.

Rhyl won the corresponding game at Y Waen by 17-7 in September but the young Wrexham side has matured a lot since then and has adjusted to playing regular league rugby. Their 53-0 victory over an inexperienced Llangollen side last week, with no less than nine players featuring on the scoring list, will have put them in the right frame of mind for this crucial game against the current league champions.


Wrexham Seconds face Flint at Bryn Estyn Road in a North Wales Division Four contest, still looking for their first win in this season’s competition. They just failed by 14-15 to overcome the Deesiders at Wrexham last March, but have a much younger side this season and can record their first league victory if they can create openings for their talented threequarters (k.o.2.30pm).   


LLANGOLLEN YOUTH     0          WREXHAM YOUTH           5

Boosted by a strong team effort, Wrexham’s Under 19’s overpowered an inexperienced Llangollen side that never gave up trying at Dinas Bran on Saturday.

Centre Josh Francis led the way with a fine brace of tries and there were single scores for flanker Owain Jarvis, number eight Gruffudd Jones, wing Peter Atkin, prop Aaron Hughes, lock Christian Chalk, wing Jordan Davies and full-back Ian Elrich. Outside-half Nathan Jones converted four of Wrexham’s nine tries.      

Wrexham 21 vs NW Baa Baa's 44
First half was a topsy turvy affair with the Baa Baa's scoring two quick tries in succession from Wrexham mistakes on half way to take a 12-0 lead one by ex Wrexham player Andy Bridges,  Wrexham hit back with 3 converted tries scored from long distance with the outstanding Mike Mcloed scoring from 45 meters, Rich Lloyd winning a kick n chase from 40 meters & prop Guy Bingham scoring from 35 meters out,  all tries were converted by Richard Lloyd, unfortunately the Baa Baa's scored two well worked team tries both uncoverted to take a one point lead into half time 22-21.
The second half started with the Baa baa's domintaing the early exchanges as mass changes from Wrexham at half time due to having a squad of 38 players, Baa Baa's  scoring two further tries in the corner both uncoverted, by now Wrexhams much changed side tried in vain to break the baa baa line,  through the powerful bursts of returning centre John Darlington & wing Gavin Brace,  however the Baa baa's had Colin Evans controlling the game from scrum half & his vision & pace all night caused untold problems for the home side & he scored two further late tries to ensure Baa Baa's victory. 
Wrexham stand out players Mike Mcloed, Mike Ward & John Darlington.
I'd like to thank the NW Baa Baa's for fully supporting this charity event & to all who attended on a cold night including Steve Jarvis for refereeing the match,  with player donations, raffle & a succesful auction we raised over £1500 for the SPARKS Childrens Mediacal research Charity.

Week Ending 27th November 2009

WREXHAM   0          NEWTOWN   30

Wrexham were knocked out of the North Wales Intermediate Cup in a 30-0 whitewash by visitors Newtown last night and will now go into next January’s Plate Competition. .. more



Wrexham First and Seconds will enjoy a rest day on Saturday, the Firsts having played and lost against Newtown in the North Wales Intermediate Cup competition on Wednesday and some of the Seconds playing for Wrexham Veterans against the North Wales Barbarians Veterans in a charity match on Friday night.


Wrexham Youth Team will resume their league programme after a gap of three weeks with a visit to Llangollen on Saturday (k.o.2.00pm).

Llangollen entered an Under 19 team in the North Wales Youth League for the first time ever this season and, although they have performed well, are still looking for their first victory. Wrexham have won three of their five league games and are in fourth place in the league table, but they will be a little rusty after their recent lay-off and will be keen to resume with a win over their local rivals.    



Wrexham face the near impossible task of scoring more than 26 points against visitors Newtown when the clubs meet in the second leg of their North Wales Intermediate Cup tie at Bryn Estyn Road on Wednesday evening (k.o.7.30pm).

They will miss the services in the front-row of their unavailable skipper Guy Bingham, but will be boosted in the threequarter line by the return of Simon Williams who is one of their top scorers. Lock Jason Reano, missing with a hand injury for the last two matches, will make a welcome return to the second-row alongside Phil Williams.

Head coach Marc Roberts has his sights set on his team achieving a much better performance than the one that led to them being hammered by 29-3 in the first leg at Newtown. A key move towards that improvement could be switching Rhodri Ifans from lock to number eight where he will link with the young flankers Danny Sissons and Ashley Ellis to form a dynamic back-row.

Wrexham are very capable of winning this second-leg, particularly now that they possess a proven try scorer in the form of Simon Williams. Full-back Andy Clutton also knows his way to the try line and can provide a cutting edge in attack, but it remains to be seen if Wrexham can score enough points to overhaul Newtown’s daunting lead from the first leg. 

 Week Ending 20th November 2009


NEWTOWN   29        WREXHAM    3

Wrexham came badly unstuck by 29-3 at Newtown in the first leg of their North Wales Intermediate Cup contest. Having experienced heavy rain and flooding en route to mid Wales they expected the game to be postponed, but instead found the ground to be in good condition with a pumped-up home side waiting to take them on.  .... more    

LLANGEFNI 2NDS   36        WREXHAM 2NDS     8

First team calls resulted in Wrexham Seconds travelling to Llangefni Seconds with only 14 players and, as the home club didn’t offer a player to balance the numbers, that is how they had to compete throughout their Division Four contest. Llangefni won by 36-8 but the depleted Wrexham pack performed magnificently throughout and earned the respect of their rivals.

The home side led by 10-0 at half-time although 14 man Wrexham had managed to hold them until lock Jason Parry was yellow carded for a technical offence. Tremendous tackling by second-row and Man of the Match Richard Platt and full-back Sion Lloyd-Jones also helped to keep the score down until the end of the half.

In a close opening to the second-half, Lloyd-Jones also grabbed a try and centre Dave Thomas kicked a penalty to reduce the arrears. Having to play one man short, however, eventually took its toll late on and Llangefni capitalised with a late rush of points to clinch a decisive victory. Flanker Gareth Owen put in a fine performance to inspire his outstanding pack.        

Week Ending 13th November 2009



Wrexham Firsts visit Newtown on Saturday in the first round of the North Wales Intermediate Cup competition, boosted in the pack by the return of lock Rhodri Evans who makes his first start of the season (kick-off at 2.30pm). 


Evans will add experience to a generally young pack while former Youth Team player Teejay Wallace will make his senior debut on the wing after impressing for the second Team and in training. There will also be a place in the squad for lock Brendan O’Malley who has been pressing hard for a First Team place and performed well in the recent friendly at Colwyn Bay.


Newtown are hosting Wrexham in the first leg of this new cup competition and will then travel to play the second leg at Bryn Estyn Road on either Wednesday or Thursday 25th or 26th of November. Wrexham defeated Newtown by 24-18 at their mid Wales stronghold last season and have high hopes of repeating that success to start their cup campaign on a high note.


Wrexham Seconds travel to Llangefni for a Division Four game and will be pulling out all the stops in an effort to claim their first victory of the season in this competition (k.o.2.30pm).


Wrexham Youth have been given a bye in this Saturday’s preliminary round of the North Wales Youth Cup competition and will rest their injury ravaged team before resuming league competition in a fortnight’s time. 



Wrexham survived a late onslaught from visitors Denbigh to keep their North Wales Youth Championship hopes alive with a 10-7 victory over their Vale of Clwyd rivals.

The floodlit Friday evening game was held up because the appointed referee failed to appear and spectator Pete Simms, a junior referee, volunteered to take charge. In a bright opening to the match, Denbigh looked the slicker side but were unable to penetrate a solid home defence that was well served by the tackling of prop Aaron Hughes and centre Josh Francis

Wrexham gradually worked their way into the Denbigh half and threatened through the determined running of centres George Cheesbrough and Josh Francis coupled with a great foraging effort from flanker Declan Simms. Twice Wrexham players crossed the Denbigh try lines but both touchdowns were disallowed as the referee was unsighted.

Just before the break, however, big lock Christian Burgoyne crashed over near the right corner from a ruck and this time the try was awarded. Outside-half Nathan Jones was just short with his difficult touchline conversion attempt and was off target again 6 minutes after the restart when he was presented with the chance to kick a penalty.

That seemed to encourage Denbigh and they were quickly awarded a penalty, only for centre Steffan Morris to slot it wide from a narrow angle. The game lost its zest for a while but warmed up in the final ten minutes when Wrexham dominated the scrums through the strength and skill of prop Gruffudd Jones and his powerful pack.

A 35 metre drive to the Denbigh line by the Wrexham pack led to a well worked move that resulted in George Cheesbrough touching down an unconverted try. Denbigh’s response was swift and clinical, outside-half Harri Williams finishing off a fast threequarter movement by scoring under the posts with only four minutes to go.

Steffan Morris kicked the conversion and tried to launch a speedy attack upfield again. However, Wrexham were in no mood to be denied their victory and wisely contained Denbigh in their own half until the final whistle blew.     



In a keenly contested floodlit veterans match at Cae Ddol, Ruthin survived a battering from Wrexham’s power pack, and two claims for pushover scores, to win the game with a breakaway try in the second-half.               

Week Ending 6th November 2009



With many players and supporters travelling to Cardiff on Saturday for the long awaited autumn international between Wales and New Zealand, Wrexham Youth have brought forward their North Wales league game against Denbigh to tomorrow night, Friday 6th November (k.o.7.30pm).

Denbigh are struggling to gain momentum this season, having lost to Ruthin, Rhyl and Mold and won only one league game, their home contest against bottom club Llangollen. Wrexham’s young side have beaten Mold and Colwyn Bay but lost have narrowly to Rhyl and Ruthin.

Their last floodlit game was against Bishop Heber in September and that proved to be a very popular game with many supporters enjoying the evening match atmosphere. Wrexham will be keen to bounce back from their 57-10 drubbing in the Webb Ellis Cup competition by Newport HSOB in South Wales last week, and should overcome Denbigh to maintain the pressure on the league leaders.


Wrexham Vets return to play Ruthin Vets almost twelve months to the day since their last encounter ! Which Ruthin won 29 - 14, Wrexham welcome back big lock Jason Griffiths after his two year injury nightmare & another long term injury prop Kev Griffith! The game should blow away some cobwebs before the stern test that awaits them on Fri 27th Nov when NW Barbarians come to Bryn Estyn.
Other Vets news is that it is likely that the Vets will take a short tour to Cheltenham on the weekend of the 23-25th April 2010. A fixture vs Stroud Vets has been arranged. Those interested please contact darrell.hughes69@gmail.com



 Wrexham Youth were knocked out of the Webb Ellis Cup competition by Newport HSOB who put a string of poor league results behind them to perform exceptionally and clinch a 57-10 victory at their Caerleon stonghold.

Perhaps the long journey affected the visitors because they failed to cope with Newport’s fast running backs in the opening quarter and fell behind to a flurry of early tries. Led by their forwards, however, Wrexham matched the home side in the second quarter with Josh Francis posing a few problems for the South Walians from his key position in the centre

Trailing by 0-34 at the break, but being the more dominant side in the forward exchanges, Wrexham had high hopes of reducing the deficit in the second-half. It was Josh Francis who initiated their comeback when he intercepted a pass in his own half and sprinted 60 metres with defenders in hot pursuit to score under the posts.

Unfortunately, outside-half Nathan Jones sliced his attempted conversion kick, but Wrexham soon came back for more with backs and threequarters linking well to pressurise Newport deep in their 22. A quickly released ball was whipped out to Christian Burgoyne on the charge, and the big lock made no mistake as he crashed over for a try under the uprights.

Although Wrexham changed their goal kicker, the conversion was again missed and the visitors faced an increasingly uphill struggle as time started to run out. Newport HSOB raised their game again deep in the final quarter and ran out very convincing winners of a keenly fought cup contest by adding another flurry of scores.   

Week Ending 30th October 2009



Wrexham will take a 30 man squad to play a friendly at Colwyn Bay on Saturday so that they can experiment and try a few new combinations in preparation for their next league matches (k.o.2.30pm).

Utility forward Phil Williams demonstrated in training on Tuesday evening that he has recovered from long term injury, and he will be given an opportunity to play at least part of a game at Colwyn Bay. Lock Jason Reano is still doubtful with a hand injury and centre Simon Williams is still recovering from a hamstring pull but skipper Guy Bingham will return at prop to strengthen the pack.

Kieran Morris, who has made a big difference to the pace of the side since claiming the scrum-half position a couple of weeks ago, will retain the goal kicking duties in which he has been in excellent form. It is a fact that the ten penalty goals kicked in seven games this term has already overtaken Wrexham’s total for the whole of last season, an indicator of the pressure that the current team is exerting on opponents.   

Colwyn Bay are currently lying second from bottom in North Wales Division One with only one win to their credit, but are playing a higher level of rugby than that encountered by Wrexham in Division Two. The two clubs have always had a healthy respect for each other and should put on a display of open running rugby, free from the pressures of league competition.    


Wrexham Youth will make the long journey to Newport HSOB as one of the three leading youth teams in North Wales to represent the Region in the Webb Ellis Cup competition (k.o.2.30pm). They expect to take a full coach load of players and supporters on this rare visit to South Wales and should, if they play well, be capable of reaching the second round with the possibility of a welcome home tie.

Newport HSOB play in the Blues Region against clubs like Penarth, Llantwit Major and Dinas Powys. They have struggled to make any headway this season, being whitewashed by 50-0 at Llantwit Major last Saturday while Wrexham were defeating Welshpool by 46-0 in mid Wales.     


WREXHAM    14        BANGOR        0

Wrexham kept up the pressure on the leading group in North Wales Division Two with a hard-earned 14-0 home victory over bottom club Bangor. Fielding a young side ravaged by injuries and unavailability, they never looked like securing a prized bonus point against the much-improved visitors, but they acquitted themselves well and deserved their success.  ....  more


Following their shock defeat at Ruthin last week, Wrexham bounced back with an emphatic win in a friendly fixture at Welshpool. They led by 34-0 at the break, having overwhelmed the home side with a flurry of tries in the opening quarter. Progress was slower after fielding five substitutes at half-time, but they finished strongly and well prepared for their visit to Newport HSOB Youth in the first round of the Webb Ellis Cup competition next Saturday.

Centre George Cheesbrough grabbed a hat-trick of tries while wing Peter Atkin, centre Josh Francis flanker Owain Jarvis and hooker John Morton claimed a try apiece. Morton, who has named Man of the Match by opponents Welshpool, also kicked a conversion to add to three conversions and a penalty landed by outside-half Nathan Jones. Another top performer was flanker Luke Hammond who usually packs down in the second-row but had to adjust to the back-row for this match.   

Week Ending 23rd October 2009



Wrexham Firsts will be looking for a bonus point victory over visitor’s Bangor when the clubs meet in a North Wales Division Two contest at Bryn Estyn Road on Saturday (k.o.2.30pm).

They will miss their dynamic young flanker Troy Roberts who gave a Man of the Match performance in last week’s success against Rhos before leaving to join the Army. There are also doubts over the fitness of lock Jason Reano who has dislocated a finger and may decide to rest for the Bangor game.

Forward Wayne Roberts, however, is expected to make his 50th senior appearance in the front row and Nick Perrin will take the field for his 75th First Team game in the front-row of the pack. Although Wrexham defeated Bangor by 57-3 at Cae Milltir last month, the Gwynedd side will be strengthened by the return of their students and will be a tougher proposition this time.


Wrexham Youth, strangely subdued when they lost by 7-22 at Ruthin last week, will be looking for a much improved performance when they visit Welshpool for a non-league contest (k.o.2.30pm). They will no doubt reshuffle their side and try out a few of their fringe players as they prepare for a big Webb Ellis Cup match at Newport next week.


Wrexham Seconds, still looking for their first league win of the season and now bottom of the Division Four table, take on Caernarfon Seconds at Bryn Estyn Road (k.o.2.30pm). With Caernarfon having won only one game this season, and drawn by 34-34 on their last visit to Wrexham, there may be a similar result this time unless the home side can produce something special.


WREXHAM    13        RHOS  7 

Wrexham came out on top of their local derby against Rhos in North East Wales Division Two, thanks to a determined second-half comeback at Bryn Estyn Road and a neat try by full-back Andy Clutton.... more


As a result of a lack lustre performance at Ruthin, Wrexham Youth were defeated 7-22 by a keener home side. Geraint Jones scored Wrexham’s try and Nathan Jones added the conversion but nobody really stood out and it was just one of those days when the team didn’t click.

HARLECH      38        WREXHAM 2NDS    

Wrexham Seconds sank to the bottom of the Division Four table with their sixth straight defeat in this competition. They managed a try by former youth team player Teejay Wallace and a penalty by Dave Thomas but will have to improve rapidly if they are to avoid relegation to Division Five.

Week Ending 16th October 2009



Wrexham Firsts take on their close neighbours Rhos in a North East Wales Division Two game at Bryn Estyn Road, and have high hopes of building on the improvement in form that they have shown in recent weeks (k.o.2.30pm).   

Flanker Troy Roberts, who has contributed enormously to Wrexham’s attacking style of play since the beginning of the season, plays his last game for the side before he joins the Army. He will be assisted in the pack by utility forwards Ian Sanger and Wayne Roberts who have returned to training this week and will add bags of power in the scrums and mauls.

Wrexham defeated tomorrow’s opponents by 24-14 on the opening day of the season at Rhos, with centre Simon Williams and full-back Andy Clutton sharing the three tries that they scored. Hopefully, the backs will rise to the occasion again and reward their hard working forwards with another success.


Wrexham Youth visit close rivals Ruthin for what is expected to be a close North East Wales Youth Championship contest (k.o.2.30pm). The result of last season’s game at Cae Ddol went in Wrexham’s favour by 18-15, but the visitors will have to be at their best on this occasion to better Ruthin who have a good home record.     


Wrexham Seconds travel to Harlech still looking for their first victory in Division Four. They were whitewashed by 41-0 at the seaside ground last season, but are a much younger side this term and should give a much better account of themselves (k.o.2.30pm).


WREXHAM YOUTH          29           MOLD YOUTH    24

Wrexham Youth staged a late rally to defeat visitors Mold by 29-24 in the first match of the season between these two top North Wales youth sides.

Slick handling and sheer pace produced tries for Wrexham wing George Cheesbrough and centres Jonathon Davies and Josh Francis in a scintillating first-half. Outside-half Nathan Jones added two conversions and there were other impressive performances from prop Aaron Hughes and flanker Dafydd Kember playing in his first game of the season on the flank.

Mold countered with two tries, one of them converted, to trail by only 12-19 at half-time. Struggling to cope with the sin-binning of one of their forwards, Wrexham stuttered at the start of the second-half and conceded a try and a conversion that squared the match in the 44th minute.

The home side created chances to regain the lead but the Mold defence held firm and it was they who celebrated when a lucky bounce enabled a centre to score what looked like the decisive try with only five minutes to go. Wrexham regrouped, however, and stormed back to level things with a jinking try from former Mold centre Josh Francis before George Cheesbrough added his second try to clinch the match.  

WREXHAM 2NDS              34           WREXHAM VETERANS   5

With both of their scheduled opponents pulling out of games on Friday evening, Wrexham Seconds and Wrexham Veterans met in an internal tussle between age and experience at Bryn Estyn Road with the youngsters emerging as victors by 34-5.

The Second Team scores came from tries by winger Will Gauntlett (2), number eight Ian Sanger, winger Mark Gasson and scrum-half Kieran Morris with three conversions and a penalty from outside-half Shaun Carr.

The veterans played well in the first-half and kept in touch with a try by full-back Darrell Hughes, but some great work by Kieran Morris in his first game of the season and flanker Gareth Owen put the issue beyond doubt after the break.

Week Ending 9th October 2009



Wrexham Firsts have a rest day on Saturday before they commence the second phase of their North Wales Division Two campaign with a home game against local rivals Rhos on 17th October. With three home and two away games scheduled before Christmas, coach Marc Roberts has been stepping up the pace in training this week. He is keen to maintain the recent improvement in performances shown by the senior side and aims to make up ground on the league leaders, Bethesda and Rhyl.   


Wrexham Youth take on their close rivals Mold Youth in a North East Wales Championship game at Bryn Estyn Road on Saturday afternoon (k.o.2.30pm). Mold lost the corresponding game at Wrexham last season by the slender margin of 7-9, but then turned the tables in another close game at Chester Road, winning by 15-8. Tomorrow’s encounter is set to be evenly matched once more.


Wrexham Veterans will play their second game of the season when they travel to Rhyl to take on a mixture of their Seconds and veteran players (k.o.2.30pm).


Wrexham Seconds were due to take on Llandudno Seconds at Bryn Estyn Road in the first leg of a North East Wales Second Team Cup tie. However, Llandudno haven’t played a game so far this season and Wrexham will therefore receive an automatic passage into the next round of the competition.


BETHESDA           29           WREXHAM          6

Wrexham continued to improve and stretched Division Two East leaders Bethesda at Dol Ddafydd, but they still managed to put themselves under pressure with simple errors and ended up 6-29 losers.... more

WREXHAM YOUTH           14           COLWYN BAY YOUTH    5

Wrexham Youth emerged as victors of a highly charged North East Wales championship encounter against visitors Colwyn Bay by 14-5. They took the lead in the first-half with a superb try in the corner by centre Josh Francis from a swift handling movement. Outside-half Nathan Jones was bang on target with his difficult conversion from the touchline.

With flanker Declan Simms playing impressively after his return from sickness and prop Ben Harrison proving very strong in the scrums, Wrexham went further ahead mid-way through the second-half when Francis scored again. This time he broke several tackles in midfield and linked with his forwards before touching down a fine try.

Nathan Jones added the extra points with a well-struck conversion before Colwyn Bay’s persistence finally paid off and they claimed a late consolation try.

WREXHAM 2NDS               12           NANT CONWY 2NDS       27

Wrexham lent Nant Conwy two players to make up a full fifteen and then suffered the blow of being beaten by them at home in this Division Four contest. Trailing by 0-15 at half-time, Wrexham made a real game of it after the break and reduced the arrears with a thundering try from number eight Iwan Roberts, converted by outside-half Dave Thomas.

The introduction of substitute Mike Ward on the flank made a big difference as did an outstanding performance from Man of the Match Bernard O’Malley. The big lock had a try disallowed before he set up full-back Gareth Bostock for a sparkling try in the corner.

Driven on by other good performances from scrum-half Dan Bowers, flanker Peter Blakemore and lock Jason Parry, Wrexham tried hard to overcome high flying Nant Conwy, but the visitors struck back with two tries and a conversion that sealed the game in their favour. 

Week Ending 2nd October 2009



Injuries and unavailability will force Wrexham to reshuffle their First Team squad for their visit to North Wales Division Two North league leaders Bethesda on Saturday (k.o.2.30pm).

The pack will lose flanker Keir Harding until he recovers from a bout of sickness while the backline will lose their unavailable outside-half Roger Chadwick, and ankle injury victim Peter Doogan who has been playing on the left wing. Winger Ashley Ellis will also have to undergo a late fitness check on a sprained ankle sustained in last week’s game against Bala.

Comforting to club coach Marc Roberts is the fact that most of the members of his pack are available for the Bethesda game, including flanker Troy Roberts who was a try scorer last week. Lock Ian Sanger, a late replacement against Bala will have benefited from some rest for a  niggling knee injury and should prove to be a key player in a solid pack.

Wrexham haven’t beaten the quarrymen since December 2006 when they triumphed at home by 24-17. Bethesda have twice been pipped for promotion in recent years but must feel after a string of victories that this is their year to move up to Division One.

Wrexham have lost two games after winning their opening two, but their defence showed a marked improvement last week and, if they can improve their passing in attack, they can get back on the winning trail again.


Wrexham Youth take on Colwyn Bay Youth at Bryn Estyn Road in the North East Wales Youth Championship. The clubs haven’t met at this level since 2006 when Wrexham triumphed by 35-3 at Colwyn Bay (k.o.2.30pm).    


Wrexham Seconds, still looking for their first win after having competed in four Division Four league games this season, entertain the powerful Nant Conwy Seconds at Bryn Estyn Road on Saturday. The home side won last season’s corresponding match by 15-14 in November and have high hopes of repeating that success to move them up the league table (k.o.2.30pm).   


WREXHAM           10           BALA    14

Wrexham suffered a second successive home defeat when they lost to Bala by 10-14, but a late fightback which forced the visitors to hold on desperately at the end at least ensured that they gained a losing bonus point and finished the match with some pride ..... more

DENBIGH 2NDS 20           WREXHAM 2NDS               7

Wrexham Seconds fell to their fourth successive defeat in Division Four when they were beaten 20-7 on their travels by a strengthened Denbigh Second Team. Hooker Paul Allan claimed a try for the visitors and skipper Dave Thomas added the conversion, while Man of the Match winger Will Gauntlett and flanker Gareth Owen were praised for their determined play.


Many thanks to everyone who supported last night's event.

Special thanks to our compares for the night, Derek Carter and Richard Williams, U7 coaches, supported by their helper Rhys Davies. Their unique talents enhanced the fun of the evening and the sum of £215.20 was raised.

Thank you for supporting your club - every penny is appreciated and it all helps

Deborah Parry- Edwards (Chair Development/PR and Fundraising)

Please look at the notice board for forthcoming events and ask your coaches.

Week Ending 25th September 2009



Wrexham entertain Bala, who were relegated from the top flight of North Wales rugby at the end of last season, in a Division Two game at Bryn Estyn Road on Saturday (k.o.2.30pm). Lock Jason Parry will definitely miss the game through injury but the powerful Mike Jones, who missed last week’s game due to a wedding, will return to strengthen the pack. 

The selectors intend to maintain faith with Wrexham’s backline which includes the developing partnership of Ben Cheesbrough and Simon Williams at centre. They will be reinforced by the introduction of Butjilani Hanyane, a former Youth Team utility back who forces his way into  the squad following good performances in the Second XV.

Wrexham last played Bala in a North Wales cup game at Bryn Estyn Road almost two years ago. The home side triumphed by 19-9 with a number of players who feature in this season’s squad, including flanker Keir Harding who grabbed a try against Bala on that occasion.       


Wrexham Youth visit Bala for a non league game, giving the team coaches an opportunity to introduce some of their fringe players who have been working hard to claim a regular place in the starting XV. Bala won a similar ‘friendly’ at Bryn Estyn Road last season by 24-14 and Wrexham’s new-look side will be keen to make amends for that reverse (k.o.2.30pm).      


The Seconds travel to Denbigh Seconds for a lower table Division Four contest, aiming to record their first victory of the season and make up for last season’s narrow 20-26 defeat at Denbigh in a Worthington Cup match (k.o.2.30pm).


WREXHAM          10             RHYL     20

Wrexham suffered their first defeat of the season when they were beaten 20-10 at home by Rhyl in a North Wales Division Two contest. ... more

WREXHAM 2NDS     0           MENAI BRIDGE        16

Wrexham’s young Second Team played their hearts out against an experienced Menai Bridge side in a Division Four contest at Bryn Estyn Road, but the visitors edged the contest with a 16-0 victory. Lock Brendan O’Malley and wing Dale Parry were the pick of the home side for their excellent performances.


Although they were beaten 21-12 by visitors Ellesmere Port Seconds, Wrexham Veterans were able to celebrate the launch of a brand new team at Bryn Estyn Road. Some of the players like number eight Tim Davies and lock Stan Edwards had to dust off the cobwebs and search the garage for boots, shorts and socks, but they all gave a good account of themselves.

Wrexham’s tries came from outside-half Richard Lloyd and centre Anthony Lang while Lloyd also managed one conversion. Wing Richard Weston was acclaimed for an outstanding performance against a much younger Wirral based side. Following this successful launch, Team Manager Darrell Hughes is planning more games for the Veterans over the next few months. ..... more     

Week Ending 18th September 2009

It is a very busy weekend at the club. All the Senior squads have matches at the club this weekend.

The first match of the weekend is the Youth v Bishop Heber on Friday evening, kick-off will be confirmed on the web but I believe it is 7.00 p.m. Please encourage your teams to come. The majority of these young men started their careers at the club in the mini section and have played for our club for many years.

1st, 2nds and Vets all see action this weekend. The 1st XV with two successive wins under their belt will undergo a much more strenuous test as they encounter Rhyl in their first home match. The 2nd XV entertain Menai Bridge in a League Division 4 game while the Vets take on Elesmere Port Vets in a friendly.

The Saturday matches kick-off at 2.30 p.m.Please check the website for full details.

On Sunday Wrexham Under 7's, 8's and 9's play Mold. The Under 10's, 14,s and 16's travel to Llanidloes to take part in their annual tournament while the Under 13's and 15's play Rhyl.


Friday 25th September - Family Bingo Night, all children must be accompanied by an adult. Admission £1 per person. Bingo game tickets to be purchased separately. - All welcome. - Please support your club. 7.00 p.m

Week Ending 4th September 2009

Wrexham 1st XV will begin the new season with an away fixture against local rivals RHOS while the 2nd XV will open their league campaign against Ruthin 2nds at Bryn Estyn Lane.

Ex youth player Daniel Sissons will captain the side in the absence of CLUB captain Guy Bingham who has wedding commitments.

Former youth players Joss Stott, Troy Roberts and Tim Roberts will also feature in a ‘new look’ Wrexham side which also welcomes the return of both Ben Cheesbrough and Simon Williams after being unavailable throughout last season.

Youngsters Ashley Ellis, Tom Williams, Gaz Griffiths and Richard Platt secure places in the 2nd XV while stalwarts Ross Roberts, Matt Arnold, Nick Stott, Paul Allen and Reg Parry add the experience to what is otherwise a young squad of players

Head Coach Marc Roberts commented “With Guy being away on Saturday it has allowed the coaching group to make a bold decision and invest in the future by making Dan Sissons (18 years of age) captain for the game. The 1st team and 2nd team squads reflect the selection policy of promoting young players and playing the players who have shown the commitment over the summer”.


Wrexham 1st XV will play in the first half of the season in the NEWLY formed Division 2 NORTH which will consist of 6 teams playing HOME and AWAY. At the same time a parallel league will play in Mid Wales as Division 2 SOUTH. When both leagues are completed the TOP three clubs in each league will play each other HOME and AWAY in a revised Division 2. The bottom three clubs will form a NEW Division 3 and again play HOME and AWAY fixtures to complete the league.

Winners of Division 2 will be automatically promoted to Division 1.

Week Ending 28th August 2009

A training squad of about 35 players will play a 'PRACTICE' game against Colwyn Bay on Thursday 27th KO 7.30 pm

Wrexham Youth will also entertain Mold Youth on the same evening KO 7.00 pm.

Week Ending 25th July 2009

Marc Roberts, who fulfils a key full-time role for the Welsh Rugby Union as Regional Performance Manager for North Wales, has been appointed as Wrexham Rugby Club’s new Head Coach. He will coach in his own time and, to do so successfully, will be assisted by a coaching team which is currently being appointed. He will take charge of his first session at the club on Tuesday 4th August.   

Club Chairman Barry Williams, who has been working hard with the Wrexham Rugby Board to make the new appointment, said at the weekend. “We are delighted that someone of Marc’s calibre is taking on the role and are confident that the future development of players and playing standards is in very safe hands.”

Roberts is no stranger to Wrexham Rugby Club, having played for the club’s Under 19 Youth Team before he left to study at University. In the Nineties he was employed by Wrexham Borough Council in conjunction the WRU as a Rugby Development Officer for the Wrexham area, and then he had his first taste of regular coaching when he took charge of Wrexham Seconds at the beginning of the new Millennium.

In 2003, Marc Roberts played a handful of games for Wrexham Firsts when they were in the top division of North Wales rugby. Since then, however, playing standards have deteriorated and the senior side fell away badly at the end of last season to finish in seventh place in North Wales Division Two.

Looking forward to his new challenge, Roberts said, “I have spent a lot of time at Wrexham and have no illusion of what lies in front of us. The future looks bright with a successful youth side producing players who will play a key role in the creation of a good new senior side. I’ve already spoken to a number of players and am very excited at the prospects for the new season”.

“It’s clear to me that we have to prioritize the creation of a stimulating, vibrant and challenging senior environment that puts players first. Once that is in place we can start to formulate some performance goals” he added.

Old News
Click here for....OLD NEWS>>>

OLD NEWS : 2008 - 2009

Click here for....OLD NEWS>>>

OLD NEWS : 2007 - 2008

Click here for....OLD NEWS>>>

OLD NEWS : 2006 - 2007

Click here for....OLD NEWS>>>

OLD NEWS : 2005 - 2006

Click here for....OLD NEWS>>>

OLD NEWS : 2004 - 2005

Click here for....OLD NEWS>>>

OLD NEWS : 2003 - 2004

Click here for....OLD NEWS>>>

OLD NEWS : 2002 - 2003

Click here for....OLD NEWS>>>

OLD NEWS : 2001 - 2002

Click here for ....OLD NEWS>>>

OLD NEWS : 2000 - 2001


All rights reserved. All original copy on this site is copyright© 2000-2008 Wrexham Rugby Football Club.

All brands, product names, logo's registered trademarks or service marks on this site remain the property of their respective owners.


wrufc, rugby, union, football, wrexham, wrecsam, north_wales, sport, wales, football, league, dragons, winners, try_scorers, william_web_ellis, rugby, union, wrexham, wrecsam, wales, welsh,